Friday, April 27, 2018

MỘT CHUYỆN MỦI LÒNG ( ANH)

      Fr: Loan Nguyen
      
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3eMGGbVxMo



Daniel Doan*Paula Le*Kimmy Nguyen


One day a woman was walking down the street when she saw a beggar sitting on the corner.
The man was elderly, unshaven, and ragged.
It was very cold that day and he had just a torn coat wrapped around him
The lady stopped and asked:
“Sir, are you all right ?”
The man looked up. He thought she was making fun of him like many others.
“Leave me alone !” he growled.
To his amazement,the woman did not leave.
She was smiling “Are you hungry?” she asked.
“No! he answered sarcastically, I’ve just come from dining with the president.  Now go away.”
Suddenly the man felt a gentle hand under his arm.” What are you doing ?
I said leave me alone.”
“ I’m going  to get you something to eat  and get you out of the cold for awhile.”
With difficulties, she finally got the old man into the cafeteria and sat him
at a table.
The manager of the café stared at the old man:” What’s going on here?” he asked.
“I’d like to buy him a meal" the lady said
“Not in here! Having this person here is bad for business.” He replied.
Old Jack smiled “See, lady. I told you so. Now if you’ll let me go.”
The woman turned to the manager,smiled " Sir, are you familiar with Edđy & Associates- the banking firm down the street?”
“Of course I am ! he replied impatiently. They hold weekly meeting in our banquet rooms.”
“Yes sir, I am Penelope Eddy, president and CEO of the company.”
“Oh.”
She sat down “ Jack, do you remember me ?”
Old Jack searched her face with his old, rheumy eyes… 
“You do look familiar.”
“I'm a little older perhaps! When you worked here,
 and I came through that very door, cold and hungry .”
“ I was just out of college, I had come to the city looking for a job,but
I couldn’t find anything. I was down to my last few cents, kicked out of
my  apartment, then walked to streets for days …
It was February.I was cold  and nearly starving.
I saw this place and walked in to ask if I could work for something to eat.”
Then you made me the biggest roast beef sandwich ever,gave me a cup of coffee and  told me to sit and enjoy it.
I was afraid that you would get into trouble.
 Then, I saw you put the price of my food in the cash register.”
“ So you started you own business?” Old Jack said.
“I got a job that afternoon. I worked my way up...till now.”
She smiled.  “ If you ever need anything, my door is always opened to you.”
There were tears in the old man’s eyes.
“ How can I ever thank you ?”
“Don’t thank me,” the woman said.
“ Thank God. He led me to you.”


                 Bảng ngữ vựng 4 cột                   

Từ điển điện tử sử dụng:Macmillan Dictionary | Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus Online              

   1.Words
 2. Syllables
    3. IPA
4.Pronunciation
 banquet  
 ban-quet
 /ˈbæŋkwɪt/
 bouquet
 bou-quet
 /buːˈkeɪ/
 /bəʊˈkeɪ/
 business
 busi-ness
 /ˈbɪznəs/
 café
 ca-fé
/ˈkæfeɪ/
 cafeteria
 ca-fé-té-ri-a
 /ˌkæfəˈtɪəriə/
 rheum  
 rheum
 /ˈruːm/
 rheumy
 rheum-y
/ˈruːmi/

rheumy eyes look red and wet because of illness, sadness, or old age
mắt kèm nhèm/ cập kèm  : có nhiều dử và dính ướr, trông không rõ 
( Pháp : yeux  chassieux )